New banjo-based sf/country crossover stuff

2 years ago

Here’s a (nearly) silent banjo head I made, for practising at night. It works extremely well. Instructions as follows:

1. Take off original head.

2. Buy a 1m rod of aluminium (I think), about 4mm diameter, and some mesh used for mosquito nets on windows - about 50cm by 100cm (total cost about 300 yen, or two quid).

3. Bend the rod into a circle so it’s the same size as the hoop on the original banjo head. Cut off excess and wrap tape around the join.

4. Cut two pieces of the mesh, a few cm wider than the hoop. Place them on top of each other so the mesh is at 45 degrees. Fold around the edges of the hoop and hold in place with a few clothes pegs.

5. Sew around the circumference with strong thread - don’t pull the mesh too tight. I just sewed a simple line a few mm from the metal hoop. Glue-gun around the seam and cut off excess mesh.

6. Fit it to the banjo as with a standard head, and tighten as usual. I found that mine tightened up very tight quite quickly, leaving quite a high rim around the banjo body. Making the mosquito net looser when sewing would probably help. It’s still holding strong after several days’ practice.

2 years ago 19 notes

Off-the-page funk music by The P*rn.

Joseph Sanger - Keys

Maff Jefferson - Bass

Jasper Williams - Drums

Recorded on 4-track reel-to-reel, with no overdubs, no mastering, and mixed in mono. From around 2005, probably.

2 years ago 1 note

Some recordings made in the early 00’s. I’m playing all the instruments. The music was recorded on 8-track reel-to-reel.

2 years ago

Home Sweet Home, performed by me (banjo), Bobby Hanna (guitar), and Suzie Hanna (violin), at Wheatfen, Norfolk, UK. From August 2011.

2 years ago 2 notes

Organ Monkeys - three songs

Demos by Organ Monkeys

For some reason, the Soundcloud player won’t work in Firefox - click the link and go directly to the page, it should work!

2 years ago

Live at the Playhouse, Norwich, Jan 3rd 2010 from Joseph Sanger on Vimeo.

The P*rn, live at Norwich Playhouse, Jan 3rd 2010.

2 years ago 11 notes

Demo of half-fretless banjo, made from an old Saga banjo.

2 years ago 43 notes

Half-fretless banjo with brass plate up to the sixth fret. I used an old Saga open-back. From October 2011.

Here are the steps I went through to make an old Saga open-back banjo into a semi-fretless (this is not a howto, it worked for me but it might not work for you! Also, I WOULDN’T DO THIS TO AN EXPENSIVE BANJO!):

1. Remove strings.

2. Prise the frets off using a combination of a pair of pliers, and a fairly wide chisel slipped under the fret to gently lever them out. I’ve heard that heating with a soldering iron helps, it didn’t much in this case.

3. Gently sand the fingerboard a little.

4. Find a piece of brass exactly the same height as the frets. My frets were 1.2mm high. In my local DIY store I could only find a piece of brass 1mm high, and about 20*10cm in area. I decided to risk it, it worked fine. If the brass is much lower, there would be fret buzz, and if it’s much higher, you’d probably have to raise the nut somehow.

5. Cut a piece of cardboard the same size as the area to be covered by the brass plate. After much deliberation, I decided to put the plate on up to and including the sixth fret so the seventh would still be usable. Also, I made a cutaway in the brass for the fifth string as I often fret the fifth string and it seemed the simplest way to get around issues regarding the fifth string pip position and intonation.

6. Tape the cardboard template to the brass, draw around it and cut out. (I used a hacksaw. It wasn’t the ideal tool for the job, but I only wanted to do this once and it didn’t seem worth buying anything more expensive). Gently file the edges of the brass, all except the straight edge which meets the nut.

7. Stick the brass plate to the fingerboard. I’ve heard that carpet tape works well to attach the brass to the fingerboard, but I didn’t want to buy a whole roll for the sake of a few centimeters. There can (apparently) be problems if the glue used is too strong, i.e. with the wood shrinking and the metal staying the same size. I used simple double-sided sticky tape from a stationary shop, it held remarkably well. I reasoned that if the plate came off, I could just stick it on again…

8. Finally, I had a couple of spare frets left over from an old guitar, so I cut mini-frets for the 5th and 6th positions on the fifth string, and squeezed them into the holes. They work fine.

9. If you get bored with your half-fretless banjo, as I did, it’s easy to pop the brass sheet off (although it was stuck surprisingly well) and push the frets back in (I had saved them from earlier). The fretboard was a little discoloured from the tape etc., but it’s fine.

2 years ago 50 notes